Family

Family

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First Injection

To start off we had a great vacation in the Outer Banks last week. The weather wasn't too hot and the water was perfect...a little cold getting in but great after a while and zero jelly fish.

Yesterday was the start of Lupron injections. It went ok. I laid on the kitchen floor and cried for about 10 minutes before I was actually able to work myself up to letting Patrick actually do it. He said he was freaking out but he stayed calm for me. It wasn't too bad. The needle didn't hurt but the Lupron does burn and my belly itched afterward. After an hour or so it went away and I can hardly see the spot anymore.

I am taking 20units a day. Initially I freaked out thinking that it was a lot for my age and first IVF. Most people start at 10 or even 5 units. I called Walter Reed and the nurse explained that although there is a fine line between too much and too little they are trying to thoroughly suppress my ovaries so that I do not ovulate early and lose all my eggs. I am worried about not having enough eggs but at this point I think I just need to trust them and see how it goes. If the first round doesn't take then I will push to have things changed for next time. I'm not exactly thrilled about taking a higher does but I understand where they are going with this. Most newer programs and research hospitals are pushing for younger IVF patients on 20 units and then slowly stimming to produce fewer higher quality eggs. The goal of IVF is to produce 1 high quality blast to be transferred on day 5 and then the blast implants quickly. This would produce a "singleton" baby as multiples are considered to be high-risk. I hate feeling like a test subject/number and I know this is not the service I would be receiving if this were at a civilian clinic but I need to be thankful that we even have this opportunity because without this program we would never be able to afford it. 

Anyway here is a picture of my set-up for the Lupron injections.

No comments:

Post a Comment